Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Collage: The Journey of Discovering My Creative Process

When I began contemplating what I would create, I decided to focus on the creative process. One of the things I enjoyed discussing the most throughout our readings was William’s narrative on the art making. Over the course of this semester, I have been working towards discovering my own way of working. Creating in art classes with specific assignments stunts growth in this area, as concepts and imagery are handed to you. I knew it was time to dive into what my own individual creative style looks like, without the demands of a specific course. 

A logical jumping off point was collage. When I decided I would switch from graphic design to studio art, I began what I called an “idea book.” It all started with a little 3x5 notebook from Target, and before I knew it, I had filled three of them! Inside my journals I plan art projects, track my progress, but mostly just express inspiration. When inspiration strikes I don’t usually have time to complete a piece from start to finish, and the journal provides a quick and easy way to record my ideas visually (words just don’t cut it in this area). I soon began to collect images, and from there, collaged them. Now, collage is the main way in which I discover and resolve my ideas because of the expressive quality of the medium.

Reading Grace and Necessity and It Was Good has encouraged me to push the limits of my art making. Instead of planning carefully with a concept already in mind, I have started to push aside any preconceived notions of what the art may look like in an effort to “serve the work.” For me this is a meditative, relaxing way of working, although time consuming. However, it also offers me with the most peace I have ever felt while creating. Allowing the work to flow from my hands acts as a form of worship, a connection with God. I have been able to find joy in my art which it previously lacked. I feel that I have re-discovered the joy of creation.


In this collage it speaks of a letting go. In the right hand corner are a collection of things from the past; old and faded. From them a cascade of romantic, vintage items flows through the waves and down into the water. A young girl stands upon them, swept away. For me this symbolizes a washing away of the old, and embracing the beautiful unknown of the new. Often it is so hard to let things go, but we would never know what greater wonders are to come if we do not leave them behind. This represents a passing of seasons, a change of eras, a journey of growth. 

2 comments:

  1. I like how you created a piece reflecting on your meditative practice in your work. Glad you found the readings encourage you to dive into that process. The image you created has a very interesting nostalgia. It looks like it would be a curious series or interesting if you developed images off of collages you made, be it prints, mixed media work etc.... Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It reminds me of Alice, "tumbling down the rabbit hole." Isn't that what "serving the work" feels like at times? You never know what you're going to end up with, but you will be living in Wonderland!

    ReplyDelete