Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Using Symbolism in Art

Cutbird by Gaylen Stewart

An example of how Stewart has used his x-rays in artwork.
In the last section of his Language chapter of It Was Good: Making Art to the Glory of God, Stewart goes into depth about some of his own work. He reflects upon how his own x-rays are one of the symbols he has used in his art. During this time he was going through a period of introspection, specifically his healing from cancer. In his own words, Stewart says,

I would use the x-rays to convey my pain and healing and a discussion about the frailty of human existence in a spiritual context. 
Bury the Tender Word
by Gaylen Stewart

However, Stewart acknowledges that symbols change. What may have been an effective symbol at one time may not be now. As Stewart progresses with his work, he juxtaposes different symbols with one another to give them new meaning. For example, while an audience may see a butterfly and acknowledge it’s natural beauty, they will view it fresh light if a word is written next to it. Pushing the limits of what it means to take a symbol and use it in an unexpected way is part of what makes an artist’s work unique and intriguing. Creating associations with contrasting objects breathes new life and meaning into them. Stewart explains this, stating,
Understanding my work reminds me of how children learn to speak when they are very young. Children learn by repetition. They become familiar with repeated sounds and patterns which they eventually connect to meaning. In a similar way, seeing many works which encompass the artist’s visual language, one can begin to decipher individual elements. As people view the images and as they read the words, they begin to make associations between dissimilar objects, imbuing them with new meaning. This is what I find challenging and exciting about symbolic imagery - connecting people and facilitating the process of rediscovery. 
Confined by Kirsten Hallenbeck

I use the symbols of the human figure, birds, and
nature elements in my own work. 
As an artist myself, it is always fascinating to hear how certain symbols wiggle their way into art and take on new meaning. For Stewart, these are natural images, such as butterflies and insects combined with scientific imagery and patterns pointing to the complexity of creation. I think if we look closely, we can all see repeating symbols in our work. For me, this consists of nature objects and free, organic lines. Plants, birds, and the human figure can’t seem to stay out of my work! These have become my strongest symbols and I have taken it upon myself as an artist to continue finding creative new ways to present them. I must give them a voice with which to speak to my viewer. 

Romare Bearden was another artist who uses symbolism in his work. In the video below, he talks about which symbols jumped out to him, and how he used specific imagery together to convey meaning. 

How will you use symbols in your artwork?









The artwork of Romare Bearden, containing his symbol of the guitar.

Sources
It Was Good: Making Art to the Glory of God by Bustard
http://www.sfmoma.org/explore/multimedia/videos/205
http://www.moma.org/collection/details.php?theme_id=10205
http://www.steinershow.org/podcasts/history/the-life-and-work-of-artist-romare-bearden/

1 comment:

  1. Nice job including info on Romare Bearden I've always been very intrigued by his work. It seems his symbols very much came out of what was around his community (although I'm not sure about the snake). Excellent job with your thoughts on the chapter... I just want to know a little more as to what you see your symbols being about!

    ReplyDelete