Monday, November 10, 2014

Goodness

Kirsten Hallenbeck. Brandywine Falls. 2012.
In It Was Good: Making Art to the Glory of God, Bustard dedicates his first chapter to the concept of “good.” Before even beginning the chapter, I began to contemplate what the word good means. We use it so commonly, so flippantly. 

The dinner was good.

The evening was good.

The art was good.

But what is good? When you take away the dinner, the evening, the art, what is it? Many people define good in terms of good and evil, but I would rather define good as a something.  Webster’s dictionary defines good as a noun; something that is right. But it’s difficult to witness good; we can’t paint it, photograph it, or sculpt it. Yet somehow good continues to surface in art, in experiences, in people. Instead of being the subject matter, good reveals itself in a glimpse. 

A glimpse. In the Bible, Moses experiences God’s goodness in such a way. 
‘‘You cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live.” Then the LORD said, “There is a place near me where you may stand on a rock. When my glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by. Then I will remove my hand and you will see my back; but my face must not be seen.”’
Ned Bustard and Matthew Clark. And Such Were
You.
2006. Tinted woodcut, 22x30 inches.
So then, maybe a mere glimpse of goodness is the best way to experience it. Bustard and Clark’s woodcut piece And Such Were You focuses on this concept of goodness in a glimpse, by depicting the ark in great peril. Inside, the animals pictured are all traditionally symbolic of evil. They symbolize evil influence, laziness, the damned, temptation of the flesh, malice, cruelty, deception, gluttony, and guile. Bustard explains his choice of animals, stating,
“The passengers of the ark that God chooses to save are underserving. And so are we....Good may be mercurial to represent in regards to the Almighty, but His acts of goodness in creation, redemption, and providence can be seen as clearly as we see in the path of the wind through the trees. And as close to our experience as our very souls - God has washed, sanctified and justified the likes of us.”
Goodness, the good, it’s something that has become a part of us. While it can’t be necessarily defined or depicted on its own, it comes out all around us. We see goodness in a waterfall, in an embrace, in a soul.

But we are not good on our own. God is good. 
“The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us.” - C.S. Lewis
Santiago Carbonell. El Abrazo. 1960.


Sources
The Holy Bible, Zondervan Publishing
It was Good: Making Art for the Glory of God by Bustard 
Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis



4 comments:

  1. I like how you mentioned the casualty which the word "good" is used. In my past English classes we were swayed away from using the word "good" because it is a "dead word," used over and over in different contexts that it renders it almost without meaning. Reading about philosophy brings the word back to life, for me. -Annelise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for pointing out that our use of the word "good" can be used so frequently without thought. Even as I'm responding to blog posts I find myself cringing as I start to type out the word "good" in my response (and then I decide to delete and it and change it to a more thoughtful word!). It reminds me of the scene in The Hobbit where Gandalf questions Bilbo's use of the phrase "Good Morning." (Watch it here if you'd like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-6d4yZYjFw).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice thoughts. Nice job posting an image of your work, and that is a lovely embrace image. The last paragraph feels like it just needs a little clarity and elaboration a bit. Nice work here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your thoughts Kirsten! I really like that you really explained the problem that we have now of over using the word "good". I also really liked your last line..."But we are not good on our own. God is good." Great images!

    ReplyDelete